Monday, June 27, 2005

Yellow Line Debate Series on Terrorism and Iraq

The Yellow Line blog is having a debate on a series of questions about Iraq and Terrorism. It's a nice idea.

Question 9 (which includes links to the earlier questions) is:

What do you feel should be the next steps in the War on Terror?
What steps do you think the Bush administration will take?

I don't have a real clear idea of what the "War on Terror" is. I would therefore replace this question with questions about the following:

  1. The war against al Qaeda and affiliates. These are the people who attacked us on 9/11.

  2. The war in Iraq. I opposed this, in large part because I believed that al Qaeda and affiliates were a bigger threat than Iraq, but we are there now and must figure out how to deal with the situation.

  3. Nuclear proliferation. I include this because if al Qaeda or one of its affiliates obtains nuclear weapons, we will be facing an existential threat.

None of these three problems are easy to address, and I won't try to do so in this short note. But I think they are important problems worthy of discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home