Thursday, July 14, 2005

Wilson's statement

Here is Wilson's statement made at a press conference set up by Senator Schumer:

Thank you, Sentor Schumer.

Let me just say up front how much I appreciate the leadership that the senator has shown in this matter from the very beginning, his willingness to address it straightforwardly, and as a matter of principle, not as a matter of partisanship.

It's of great sadness to me that we're here discussing this today. Those of you who know me know that I've reentered the public sector several years ago to discuss why, and how, we might go to war or resolve our policy issues with Iraq. This has been an enormous distraction from that principled debate--a debate on war and peace--but it is what it is.

The fact that somebody decided that they would go ahead and leak classified information for the purposes of achieving a political end is simply unacceptable. It's unacceptable for Democrats; it's unacceptable for Republicans; it's unacceptable for Americans, and for the national security of this country.

I am committed to seeing that justice is done. I do believe, as the Senator does as well, that justice will be done, and that Pat Fitzgerald will get to the bottom of this one way or another.

But irrespective of whether it is ultimately decided that a crime has been committed--and that is not my decision; I'm not a lawyer--I was going to make a lawyer joke, but I don't think I will--but irrespective of whether a law has been violated, it's very clear to me that the ethical standard to which we should hold our senior public servants has been violated. And it is for that reason that I have called for, not Karl Rove's resignation, but for the President to honor his word that he would fire anybody who was involved in the leak.

I'm here to support Senator Schumer today, and his colleagues, in calling for the lifting of his security clearance as a first step, and as a way of dealing with the specific violation of national security.

I'm also here, and I've said this repeatedly, that the smear campaign lauched from the west wing of the white house, is just ethically unsupportable.

Thank you. And thank you, Senator Schumer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home